What Is a Mule Skinner Drink
If you’re a fan of cocktails, you may have heard of a drink called a “Mule Skinner.” But what exactly is a Mule Skinner drink, and where did it come from? In this article, we’ll explore the history and ingredients of the Mule Skinner cocktail, as well as some variations you can try at home.
A Brief History of the Mule Skinner Drink
The Mule Skinner cocktail is a variation of the more well-known Moscow Mule, a drink that was created in the 1940s in New York City. According to legend, the Moscow Mule was invented by John Martin, the owner of Smirnoff vodka, and Jack Morgan, the owner of the Cock ‘n’ Bull bar on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. The two men were trying to come up with a way to sell more vodka in the United States, and they hit upon the idea of combining it with ginger beer and lime juice to create a refreshing and unique cocktail.
The Mule Skinner, on the other hand, is a relatively recent invention. It was created by bartender and mixologist Chad Solomon in the early 2000s, and it is named after the mule skinner, a worker who is responsible for driving and caring for mules. Solomon came up with the Mule Skinner as a way to pay tribute to the hardworking mule skinners of the past, and to create a drink that was both flavorful and refreshing.
Ingredients of a Mule Skinner Drink
So, what goes into a Mule Skinner cocktail? The ingredients are fairly simple, and you can easily make one at home with the following:
- 2 ounces of whiskey (Solomon recommends using a high-quality bourbon or rye)
- 4 ounces of ginger beer
- 1/2 ounce of lime juice
- 1/4 ounce of simple syrup
- A sprig of mint, for garnish
To make a Mule Skinner, simply combine the whiskey, ginger beer, lime juice, and simple syrup in a shaker with ice. Shake well to combine, then strain the mixture into a tall glass filled with ice. Garnish with a sprig of mint, and enjoy!
Variations on the Mule Skinner Drink
Of course, there are many ways you can vary the Mule Skinner to suit your own tastes. Here are a few ideas:
- Use different types of whiskey: Instead of using bourbon or rye, try using a different type of whiskey, such as Scotch or Irish whiskey. This will give the Mule Skinner a completely different flavor profile.
- Add some sweetness: If you want to balance out the spicy ginger flavor of the Mule Skinner, try adding a touch of sweetness. You can do this by using a flavored simple syrup, such as honey or maple syrup, or by adding a splash of grenadine.
- Experiment with the ginger beer: Ginger beer is the key ingredient in a Mule Skinner, and there are many different types available on the market. Try using a spicy ginger beer for a more intense flavor, or a sweeter ginger beer for a more balanced drink.
- Mix it up with different citrus: In addition to lime juice, you can also try using other types of citrus in your Mule Skinner. Lemon, orange, and grapefruit juice can all add a different twist to the drink.
The Mule Skinner is a delicious and refreshing twist on the classic Moscow Mule cocktail. With its combination of whiskey, ginger beer, lime juice, and simple syrup, it’s a drink that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Whether you’re a fan of spicy ginger flavors or prefer something a little sweeter, there are plenty of variations on the Mule Skinner that you can try at home. So the next time you’re in the mood for a unique and tasty cocktail, give the Mule Skinner a try. Cheers!