How To Make Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo sauce is always a good idea. Just toss the indulgent sauce with pasta (and maybe some chicken or shrimp) to create a crowd-pleasing meal that even picky eaters will enjoy.
This top-rated Alfredo sauce recipe contains shortcut ingredients that will make your next weeknight dinner a breeze. Plus, learn how to thicken, store, and freeze Alfredo sauce for the most delicious results.
What Is Alfredo Sauce?
Alfredo sauce is a creamy pasta sauce that’s frequently paired with fettuccine. The iconic dish, fettuccine Alfredo, is an Italian menu staple. According to legend, the dish was invented by a Roman chef named Alfredo di Lelio in the early 1900s. Di Lelio’s pregnant wife was struggling to keep any food down, so he tossed pasta in the simple buttery sauce of his own creation. He added fettuccine Alfredo to his restaurant’s menu soon after.
How to Make Alfredo Sauce
The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Traditional Alfredo sauce consists of butter, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, and basic seasonings such as salt and pepper. This simple recipe, though, has a secret ingredient that speeds up the cooking process and makes it extra indulgent: cream cheese. Here’s what you’ll need to make the Creamy and Delicious Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Before you start making the sauce, go ahead and prep any other ingredients you’ll be using in your dish (like pasta and chicken). Your sauce will be ready to toss and serve as soon as it’s done cooking.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, then whisk in the cream cheese and garlic powder. When the first three ingredients form a smooth sauce, start gradually whisking the milk into the mixture. It’s important to add the milk a little at a time to prevent lumps and to ensure a thick texture.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper last. Stir the sauce until it’s smooth and glossy.
- Toss the sauce with pasta, chicken, and/or other ingredients that are necessary for your dish. Serve immediately.
This Alfredo sauce is much easier to make than more traditional recipes that require you to make a roux with flour and milk. However, here are a few tips to make sure your sauce turns out perfectly every time:
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese for the best flavor and texture.
- Be sure to use real butter for the most indulgent results.
- If you want an even thicker sauce, consider making a slurry to add at the end. Just whisk a tablespoon of cornstarch into two tablespoons of cold water. When the ingredients are combined, slowly add the slurry to the sauce. Repeat until the desired thickness is reached.
- If you don’t have Parmesan cheese, you can try substituting Gruyère or mozzarella.
Reheating Alfredo Sauce
Since Alfredo sauce is heavy on the dairy, you shouldn’t let it sit at room temperature for more than two hours. Keep homemade Alfredo sauce in an airtight storage container in the fridge for about three days. You can also freeze Alfredo sauce for up to three months. To reheat, warm the sauce on the stove over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for a smooth texture.
This easy and delicious homemade alfredo sauce recipe
When it comes to reheating Alfredo sauce, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, avoid reheating it in the microwave. This can cause the sauce to separate and become clumpy. Instead, heat it in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little milk or cream to thin it out.
If you’re looking to make the best homemade Alfredo sauce, be sure to use freshly grated parmesan cheese instead of the pre-shredded kind. Pre-shredded cheese contains additives that can prevent it from melting smoothly, which can result in a grainy texture. Also, be sure to simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring constantly, until it has thickened to the desired consistency.
In conclusion, homemade Alfredo sauce is a simple and delicious way to elevate any pasta dish. With just a few ingredients, you can make a creamy and indulgent sauce that will impress even the pickiest eaters. Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner or an impressive dish to serve to guests, this Alfredo sauce recipe is a must-try.